Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Best of TImes, the Worst of Times.

Driving home from Wichita late friday night I had the most profound moment during a Prince song on the radio. Okay I didn't really have a profound moment while listening to Prince (or the Artist). But man, I wanted to start this one off with a bang. (note to reader, i'm not a prince fan per say, it was just one of the few songs coming in clear as I had already exhausted my cassette options of Conway Twitty and Smoky Mountain Hymns)
The older I get, and when I'm not sure whether my life is leading up to something really big, or something really not all that great, I like to think of it in terms of how somebody else would write about it. The irony is, since I started blogging, I've been actually writing less, but rather spend more time thinking about what I would be writing if I didn't pre-edit myself so much that most of it doesn't make the page. Even as I type now, I tell myself it's for the sake of catharsis, not that I really will tell you what's going on. I guess, for now, that's fine. I'm okay really anway.
I will tell you this. I need more Bob in my life. Bob Marley that is. I don't own a single Album of his. And as trite as it may seem, I really do feel quite alright during "One Love" and other hits.
Somewhere between Emporia and Topeka (please see Sunsets, Does and F-Bombs for more adventures on this stretch) a semi passed me that said "CON-WAY" on the back. That made me smile, as I can't seem to make a trip in the car anymore with out my buddy Conway Twitty playing. Every song's a sing along. I promise you'd be singing with me. You really would be.
I was quite tired, exhausted almost on the way home, but thanks to Ben Mattson who told me one time that chewing and spitting out sunflower seeds is even better than caffeine I was in good shape. I did see a deer on the side of the road, alas, none ON the road though! Special thanks goes out to Natalie for Lending an ear pre-drive. Muchos Gracias if per chance you read this mumbo jumbo. It did a heart good.
Special Howdy's must also go out to the SUZ who should have arrived in Deutchland sometime early this morning. Yes that's right folks, Wichita's best kept secret and model citizen has moved. The city should be weeping collectively for their loss. Your town will not be the same........sigh...........
Today delivering flowers, I felt pretty good. I had a good run, until I saw a dumb church sign at a Methodist (sorry methodist readers) church I was taking wedding flowers to. "Live right now, So you won't be Left". Thanks for watering down the gospel. My heart sank as I read probably entirely too much into it. It seems they are only propagating the already consuming and complety false idea that A (doing good stuff)+ B (living good) = C Salvation and or going to Heaven. Way to go Methodist church. I do not apologize for my sarcasm at this point.
breath......
I think maybe i'll write on this more often for better or worse, or more of the same. Have a good night, morning, afternoon............hug a friend and drink more water.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm actually reading blogs...and why do i feel the overwhelming feeling of having to be clever? see andy, i do care! and i am going to continue to do so. speaking of the suz...she is safe in germany as i got a call from her this morning.

amy

August 28, 2005 at 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,
I was thinking about you Friday night - hoping your drive home went okay (and amen to the sunflower seeds tip - it has saved me on many a very sleepy drive!)......sounds like dinner went okay?
We should talk more....sorry I wasted so much of your time on stupid 'net videos and backpacking pictures. We obviously had much bigger things to talk about......I've felt pretty dumb a/b that.
When do you leave for CA?

Always drink lots of water,
Aunt Jenny

August 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older I get, and when I'm not sure whether my life is leading up to something really big, or something really not all that great,

This part of your blog pulled at my heart - Never wonder....Your life is something really great because God has planned good things for you.

Consider:
Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

"Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5). There are several things here that are wonderful and awe-inspiring as we reflect on what this verse says about the omniscience of God. God tells Jeremiah that He "knew" him before he was formed within the womb. He already knew Jeremiah's strengths and weaknesses. He already knew that Jeremiah would possess what God wanted to use during this particularly trying time of Israel's history. And before Jeremiah was born, God had already set him aside for a special task which He would give him years later as a young adult.

What does this mean to us? After all, we are not prophets like Jeremiah. No, but we are human beings created in God's image like Jeremiah. God knew each of us; what our strengths and weaknesses; abilities and limitation would be. He knew us in this way even before we were born. He has also appointed us to become like Jesus as we follow in His steps; "For whom He foreknew He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-horn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29). It is up to us as to whether we will accept God's appointment or not, just as it was up to Jeremiah.

August 30, 2005 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Andronicus said...

i probably came off sounding worse than i meant, but thanks Bettie for the encouragement, very kind, and useful. aj

August 31, 2005 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger George Parker Montgomery said...

What up Andy, I haven't read your blog in a while. Though, I do thank you for your comment on mine. So here's my comment, sarcasm works better without apologies. :) And are you coming to California or is that Canada?

September 1, 2005 at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home