Saturday, March 26, 2005

Strippers, Preachers, Failures and Saviors...

As I was delivering flowers this morning all over this town, I couldn't help but ponder the irony of a happy stripper and a frowning, almost scowling minister on Easter Weekend. Anything you experience can be a generalized life experience or an isolated incident. In the defense of the minister, she herself wasn't receiving the flowers I was bringing, they were for a funeral at her church. Never the less she didn't really seem thrilled to have me bring them in to the sanctuary. The place was packed already with Easter Lillies, and spring arrangements lining the stained glass windows along the pews in celebration of our Savior's resurrection. The old downtown Methodist church seemed a little colder than usual today. Further North, around noon I weaved in and around North Lawrence looking for the "Flamingo Club". I came upon a forlorn building next to the safety of a corn field, and mostly vacant, gravel parking lot far enough away from the confines of the town to ease first time visitors I presume. Any amusement in the fact that in 2 minutes I would be delivering flowers inside a strip club was lost in the dreery, hollow looking establishment. I couldn't help but feel a little dirty even being on the premisis. I went through the back door as was instructed and was met by the owner, or some guy who confirmed the fact that "Robyn" was indeed there. Back I went to the Delivery van to retrieve her Easter Lillies and balloons. Robyn was sitting at the bar, waiting for something, but when she got them her face lit up enough to see it brightly even in the dark, confining room. She was delighted. A few other girls sitting next to her jokingly whimpered as is custom for those who are standing next to the recipient who don't get flowers. I said thanks, Happy Easter and walked out feeling better about the day, the weekend, and life in spite of my perceived failures. (And for the record, no there weren't any naked chicks there...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

When I was nineteen I went into a local strip club with a buddy as a joke. We had conjured up a plan to try to get into the strip club using glib and blarney, as a joke, and worked up the nerve to possibly get punked by some hard-core bouncer. Much to our dismay, when we arrived at the entrance there was no bouncer. Not sure what to do next, we opened the door. Still no bouncer. Walked into the entrance hall, which led to the bar, and a nearly-nude but still-dressed bar-tender. Over to the left I saw some girl dancing to that No Doubt song, "Don't Speak". Wait. She's topless. And like blithering idiots we raced out into the street and speed away in my Mazda pick-up truck, never to be the same again.

March 27, 2005 at 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home