Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Through the Stacks: A true story

..sorry, I wanted to make the subject line sound provoking.........but no, it's really just about me wandering around in the public library this afternoon, checking out too many books for one man to read. The point is this, I found myself actually making a goal for myself. I figured, if I checked out a bunch of books about places I want to go, than I would be more apt to get a job, save money, so I can get there. So here is my shocking revelation! I want to be living or at least have travelled to either......Iceland or Scandanavia.....by this time next year.........ta da.......i'm sure you're gushing with admiration of my lofty goals. Perhaps you are thinking......
"..But Andy.........what ever shall you do for a living whilst living in a foreign land?"
"..I don't know........maybe i'll fish...."
The last time I went fishing was with Adam and Nathan at a little lake somewhere in the country by Emporia. I didn't do so hot. But I did catch a fish, and it was in the 100's. The time before that all we had for bait was pig testicles, and it was very windy. That was in Nebraska with the cousins. I don't remember catching anything that blustery day.
"Andy, that doesn't sound like a good fishing resume....are you sure that's a good career path in a strange land?"
"No, I am not sure....maybe I'll deliver the fish via bicycle or something. Or maybe I could work in a bookstore. I've done that. It couldn't be any worse than Barnes and Suck. Plus, after a little research I learned Iceland has 100% litteracy rate. This means that bookstores are more heavily frequented, hence the possibility of more jobs in that area...."
"I don't know Andy, I think you may be better suited here in the States.."
"You're probably right, but my goodness, we've got to try something!"
....end dialogue.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Life is a Christian ministry whose mission is introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ
and helping them grow in their faith. All duties are to be performed in a manner
that is compatible with the mission of Young Life.

Full/Part Time: Full
Location/City: Keflavik, Iceland
Posting Date: 2005

Description:

Military Ministry
MCYM is seeking people with a spirit for adventure to minister to American teens whose parents serve in the U.S. military. This is a unique ministry that would give you access to a group of teens who might not otherwise hear the Gospel.

NAS Keflavik is the host Command for the NATO Base in Iceland. The base is located on the Reykjanes peninsula on the southwest portion of the island. The major commands stationed on the base are Naval Air Station Keflavik, the Air Force's 85th group, Commander Fleet Air Keflavik, Commander Iceland Defense Force, NCTS Keflavik, Naval Hospital Keflavik and the Marine Corps Security Force Company Keflavik

February 2, 2005 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

maybe you could preen bjork's dresses.

February 2, 2005 at 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the one that looked like a big goose.

matt

February 3, 2005 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home