Tuesday, December 14, 2004

There's probably a word for that....

...So good folks, you may be wondering why I posted the lyrics to "Houston" by the Gatlin Brothers. That is a good question. I had my reasons. There was some really random connection I was going to write about that I don't really rember now. Sometimes I like to play that "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game by myself, with my own dreams and or experiences. I guess it's a lot different than the Kevin Bacon game, 'cause I never really learned that one anyway, and mine mixes mediums with my own thoughts, experiences, garbled unused lyrics etc... And by dreams, I mean dreams literally. Mine are quite vivid, and recently quite terrifying. I don't know what the reason for that is, other than maybe a general dissatisfaction with the way life is going right now......but hey there's always hope right? Oh the dreams.....I should have just made this a topic in and of itself because it seems that I could go on and on about them. I didn't take too much pyschology in college, just the required stuff, so I'm sure there's some obvious stuff the more enlightned could tell you about actual dreams. I just like to explain the plotlines of mine, if there were any. When I used to live with Jeff, I used to tell him about mine, but I think he thought I was weird. Which, probably would be a true assumption. Hey, that's okay.
Anyway, what was the point of this non-sense? Oh yes, the Houston song. It maybe had been 10 years or longer since I had heard this song, and I never even knew who sang it, or necessarily liked it. Then A week or so ago, I have this dream were I'm walking around somewhere (a lot of the dream details get lost quickly if not written down)humming the song "Houston" (it would help at this point if you knew the melody to get the ""comedy""). And I keep asking everyone......"hey do you know the next line". And nobody does. The only word anyone knows including myself is "Houston" the title. Then the other night, I'm sitting at the keyboard reading up on something after I had watched the Ku basketball game with Dad. Dad is watching one of those pledge drives on PBS where they have concert footage, then between songs they ask for money ( I could tell you more about "pledge week" as I used to work for KPTS in wichita). Anyway, sure enough just like in a dream I hear the words to "Houston" coming from the living room. I ask Dad who is singing, and he knew right off. Guess I could have asked him the next line all along.
But this isn't the only strange "connection". The same day Dad and I were joking about going into business together selling cheap coffins for people who didn't want to waste thousands of dollars on something goign into the ground forever. We were thinking glorified styrofoam or plastic. That day or the next, I was helping out around the Flower Shop I deliver for lately and noted an odd coincedence. I was helping one of the girls in the basement put away all the fall non sense into these huge crate things they call "coffins". They are made out of styrofoam. Weird.
In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned being in quite a sour state of mind, and being cheered up when I heard that there was a band called The Ice Cream Sandwiches. Last friday Night I joined my friend Nat to see the Billions play downtown whom we are both fans of. Turns out it was their lead guitarist's last night. Guess who the opening band was. The Ice Cream Sandwiches. I might add that I really liked them too. Kind of experimental noise, yet a dash of slacker/jam rock all a mode hooks and riffs.
Maybe these connections make no sense. That's okay, Sometimes, in a quirky fun way, life seems to be like a movie about a movie, and "everything is leading up to something". (See the "Truman Show" for roughly paraphrased phrase). If you want to check out the ICE CREAM SANDWICHES here is a link, I think. http://www.purevolume.com/theicecreamsandwiches
Have a mysterious day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

"About the time he reached second base, a few of us began to notice something odd about the Brother's baserunning. It wasn't hard to put a finger on, either. He wasn't running bases at all. He was dancing them. Our first reaction was to gawk...

But what really won me over was his butt. What finally made it impossible for me not to like the man was how right out there on the Adventist basepaths, right in front of eighty or ninety of the kind of pious adult spectators who spent their every Sabbath if not their entire lives trying to forget the existence of things like butts, Beal's buns were trying to light a fire by friction inside his jeans; they were gyrating like a washing machine with its load off balance; they were thrashing against his pants like two big halibut against the bottom of a boat. And the wonderful thing, the amazing thing, was how once his older audience got over the shock of it, they began to look amused at, then fascinated by, and finally downright grateful toward his writhing reminder that yes, buns did exist, and yes, every one of us owned not one but two of the things, and yes, like the God who created them in His Image, they did indeed move in mysterious ways."

--David James Duncan, The Brothers K

a good butt passage is just quite hard to come by these days.

December 17, 2004 at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home